OurInsaneWorld

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OurInsaneWorld

JCIB APMEH Forum

3 posters

World War I

JoshuaS

World War I Empty World War I

Post  JoshuaS Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:27 am

World War I became a trench war for many reasons but the main one is probably the development of new weapons. This was the first large war since Napoleon and things definitely changed during this time. With new weapons, comes new strategies. Since countries now had access to better weapons such as machine guns, so a new defense tactic had to be used. Trenches were built and proved helpful. They allowed protection and ability to move without being seen. There were, however, many drawback. These trenches flooded, carried disease, and created an area between the trenches known as "no mans land."
    It effected civilians because more land was being made to create these trenches which was taking away from public land. It also created a battlefield were civilians did not have to get involved.
    The troops suffered because of the trenches. They had to live in these horrible conditions for weeks. They endured many sicknesses and still suffered the normal pain of war.
    The was probably not affected bad. Trenches were just another part of war. Sure it did cost money but so does developing a tank or nuclear weapons. Regardless of whether trenches are used or not, war is expensive.
    Darcy

World War I Empty Re: World War I

Post  Darcy Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:12 am

I never thought of trenches taking up land that could be used publicly...
    Abdalaziz K.
    Abdalaziz K.

Post  Abdalaziz K. Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:16 am

Wouldn't saying trenches were helpful, and that they caused diseases be contradictory? How could something help you if it kills you? Smile
    JoshuaS

Post  JoshuaS Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:07 am

Abdalaziz K. wrote:Wouldn't saying trenches were helpful, and that they caused diseases be contradictory? How could something help you if it kills you? Smile

I didnt say they were helpful just that they are another act of war and that they are no worse than other techniques
    Abdalaziz K.
    Abdalaziz K.

Post  Abdalaziz K. Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:58 am

"Trenches were built and proved helpful." tongue
    JoshuaS

Post  JoshuaS Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:16 am

Abdalaziz K. wrote:"Trenches were built and proved helpful." tongue

"Since countries now had access to better weapons such as machine guns, so a new defense tactic had to be used. Trenches were built and proved helpful. They allowed protection and ability to move without being seen"
    different context...i meant they were helpful as a defense strategy.
    Abdalaziz K.
    Abdalaziz K.

Post  Abdalaziz K. Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:19 am

Okay, so they were good for protection, if you looked at how it defended the soldiers with guns. It improved their chance of survival of gunfire, but unfortunately, it did not protect against disease, mustard gas, and shells. study

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:49 am