OurInsaneWorld

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OurInsaneWorld

JCIB APMEH Forum

3 posters

Trench Warfare

General Gao
    General Gao

Location : Imersed in my thoughts...........which is.....inside my head..........

Trench Warfare Empty Trench Warfare

Post  General Gao Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 am

Trench warfare in World War I began when the French and British used it to put a stop to the German advance into France. Along with the use of trenches, other new weapons of war were invented with the help of new advances in technology. The defenders used barbed wires to slow down the enemy offensive, and they used machine guns and rifles to pick off the vulnerable soldiers. Also, the heavy artillery behind the trenches would fire shells out into the enemy trenches or the field. In order to hold their position, Germany was also forced to make trenches turning the war into a stalemate Once both sides have set up the trenches, it created a piece of land in the middle called "no man's land" where soldiers are the most vulnerable. To counter trench warfare, nations from both sides introduced other new weapons. The English invented the tank whose hard exterior shell provided a strong defense against machine guns, and the tank also easily overran enemy trenches. Mortars shot into the enemy lines and trenches quickly blasted up the death toll in the war. The use of chlorine and mustard bombs provided just as much destruction. These weapons were employed first to weaken enemy trenches before advancing the infantry. Most attempts were failures while some were successful. However, the war on the western front turned into an ongoing ping-pong match between a couple of miles of land that stretched from the English Channel to Switzerland. This ongoing stalemate put a lot amount of pressure on the economy and governments. Society during world war I revolved around war. The civilians must continue to provide weapons, rations, and souls for the front lines in order to keep their positions. Through the war, Europe witnessed the destruction of a whole generation. Also, the government also felt pressure because of the war. The government was forced to continue funding and production for the war, for they did not expect the war to last more than a couple of weeks.

Last edited by General Gao on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
    Vincent M.
    Vincent M.

Trench Warfare Empty Re: Trench Warfare

Post  Vincent M. Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:44 am

Very descriptive, I liked the ping pong anology. I guess the government should have expected for a little longer of a war huh.
    Abdalaziz K.
    Abdalaziz K.

Trench Warfare Empty Abdalaziz K.

Post  Abdalaziz K. Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 am

I liked your "ping pong statement", because that is true, both sides were as strong as each other, so they would never lose or win. You may have forgotten to mention the conditions in the trenches though, otherwise, great work! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Trench Warfare Empty Re: Trench Warfare

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:09 am