OurInsaneWorld

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OurInsaneWorld

JCIB APMEH Forum

+6
lwilson
RLambert
Chelsea C.
Austin H
WestonWolf359
J. Loomis
10 posters

Dig Down: The Horrors of Trench Warfare

J. Loomis
    J. Loomis

Dig Down: The Horrors of Trench Warfare Empty Dig Down: The Horrors of Trench Warfare

Post  J. Loomis Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:21 am

I thought I could write and essay style answer to the questions given, but I know that everyone else is doing the same thing, and that can get rather tedious. So I thought I would use a different style. (Feel free to let me know if you notice a typo)

Dig Down

We have been called
    From our homes sunny and bright
    To kill our brothers many
    We’ll be back by Christmas
    The government officials said
    Bloody liars

Rifles cough
    Quickly bolted
    While the artillery echoed
    A great tremendous sound
    That soon forced us underground
    To hide away in dirt from pain
    And the shells
    That all around us fall

In the dirt we dig down
    In ground we are found
    With all the snakes and rats
    To no man’s land I never wish to go
    “Over the top”
    Assisted suicide in my mind
    The government officials call it
    “A war of attrition”
    They got that one right
    But we’ll be the ones to bled
    Not them

The food we steal
    From citizens we’ll never see
    And if we get home
    Our families will never understand
    This time we spent
    Facing no man’s land
    There are no heroes here
    Only the dead
    Upon which the rats feed
    And the rest of us
    Tomorrow’s meal

My ears hum
    While my throat slowly chokes
    What ever part of me doesn’t go
    Disease will have instead
    Gangrene, typhus, cholera, and dysentery
    I believe to be my worst enemies
    As the gas comes once again
    I’ll put my face in a mask to save

Here we stay
    Through the day and night
    We cannot run away
    This war is stagnant
    Mobility was lost long ago
    In the trenches we’ll give our souls
    “Ils ne passeront pas"

Machine gun clicks and sounds
    While breathing mustard clouds
    Sinking in mud
    “This is how the world ends”

“Ich gebe auch”
    The last words I suppose I’ll ever hear
    Since I decided to dig down

Last edited by J. Loomis on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
    WestonWolf359
    WestonWolf359

Dig Down: The Horrors of Trench Warfare Empty Re: Dig Down: The Horrors of Trench Warfare

Post  WestonWolf359 Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:33 am

Makes me cry...
    now mine seems so bland! Sad
    Great idea!
    Austin H

Dig Down: The Horrors of Trench Warfare Empty Re: Dig Down: The Horrors of Trench Warfare

Post  Austin H Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:15 am

A war of attrition did seem to be the goal of many governments; however, few of them saw that that was the goal of their enemy as well, and as a result, as you said, the goal of the war seemed only to be to kill more men than were lost, and it almost seems as if governments forgot what they were actually fighting for, and were simply enraptured in the fighting itself. It's actually very sad.
    Chelsea C.
    Chelsea C.

Post  Chelsea C. Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:21 am

Wow. That is impressive. I agree with you, though. While reading All Quiet over the summer, I thought, "These goverments and rulers have no clue what happens in the trenches. They just want to fight and don't care what they are doing to their countrymen." And now you've put it in a poem, and it is very good. Genius. He should give you creativity bonus points. I also agree with Weston: mine looks terrible now. Smile
    RLambert

Post  RLambert Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:22 am

Great Idea! Great Poem!
    lwilson
    lwilson

Post  lwilson Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:31 am

So are you saying that trench warfare developed because all of the belligerents fought with absolute intensity (though morale seemed extremely low among troops; I refer to the governments in the early going of WWI here) and no one gave out because governments almost had a romantic view of the conflict? (At least, for Germany in the beginning; it seems England always had a level head about its goal being to maintain the status quo).
    Abdalaziz K.
    Abdalaziz K.

Dig Down: The Horrors of Trench Warfare Empty 1

Post  Abdalaziz K. Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 am

Very creative..sure wish I thought of that.. Very Happy
    Molly Christine H
    Molly Christine H

Post  Molly Christine H Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 am

Loooooooomissssss!
    that was amazing my friend i wanted to cry
    amazing
    truly

did you mean hide instead of hid in the first part?
    markaylac93

Post  markaylac93 Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:08 am

Dang...that was good...really good. wow, i didnt know your writing was that good... Shocked Very Happy
    Hilary P
    Hilary P

Post  Hilary P Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:43 am

I like how you did the point of view through a soldiers side. This makes your poem more personal which adds more depth and description to the life in the trenches. Your poem is very good Very Happy
    J. Loomis
    J. Loomis

Post  J. Loomis Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:00 am

Thanks guys, just thought I'd try something different
    I thought more of you knew that I wrote stuff from time to time

Thanks Molly! I fixed the typo

Iwilson: No one had ever fought a war quite like this before. Most governments went into WWI expecting to fight a war similar to the Napoleonic wars, where the victory was decided quickly with large scale battles. Due to the changes in technology i.e. machine gun and heavy artillary, it became far easier to defend then to take the offensive. Earthworks grew, and the possiblity of an army moving around the flank forced the trenches to grow even longer and more elaborate, keeping both armies from ever having a battle like the ones of old. Hmm I seem to be rambling.
    Anyway, about the English, look the at the battle of the Somme to see that they sent as many men over the top to be mowed down by machine guns as any other country. Thankfully by the time WWII came around military tactians had figured some of this out, and were able to come up with brand new more modern ways of killing each other that didn't focus on having the soldiers sitting in a large hole waiting to die of sickness. Very Happy
    Abdalaziz K.
    Abdalaziz K.

Post  Abdalaziz K. Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 am

Was food stolen from civilians? I thought civilians had to give it to them, in order to supply their own army? study

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 1:11 am