OurInsaneWorld

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OurInsaneWorld

JCIB APMEH Forum

+4
lwilson
faith m
markaylac93
Chelsea C.
8 posters

Evolution and Affects of Trench Warfare

Chelsea C.
    Chelsea C.

Evolution and Affects of Trench Warfare Empty Evolution and Affects of Trench Warfare

Post  Chelsea C. Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:55 am

The springboard for trench warfare, like the Industrial Revolution, was technology. With new inventions such as machine guns and tanks and bombs and gases, new safety precautions had to be taken by the unfortunate soldiers; they dug pits in the ground to provide somewhat of a barrier between the shellfire raining down. With this, the only way a soldier could get shot by the fatal bullets was to poke his head out, or if the enemy could change the angle of the bullet. However, because no one wanted to poke his head out, no progress was made. . . at all. If a soldier were forced to try to make it to the other side, his only protection out of the trenches was the shell holes that were left behind, and those were not enough. "No live man's land" may be a better term for the area between the trenches. Many people, however, probably would have welcomed such a quick end to their miserable lives because living inside the trenches was nothing short of terribly horrible, and every other negatively connotated adjective. Disease and rats the size of dogs ravaged the men. There were food shortages because no one could get out of the trenches to get to provisions; officers had to threaten to shoot men to get them to go into the line of fire.

No average man could possibly return from these disgusting places unchanged. And so few did. The government was forced to put out drafts to force any able man to go and fight the enemy. Many critics have said whole generations of men were lost to WWI, in the trenches. Families were forced to leave their homes to escape the war that was to come, and had already arrived. For example, in All Quiet on the Western Front, there was a village that the German soldiers visited while getting away from the trenches before more of the enemy arrived, at which time leaving the trench would be suicidal. There was an incredible amount of non-fatal casualties, also. Men would come home with one leg, one arm, less than ten fingers, chunks missing, etc. And of course, their souls would never be whole again, either, after being scared to death every waking and sleeping moment and watching their comrades die. Families would be affected by this, as well, because Daddy was never the same. Somehow, though, the next generation started a whole other war, almost as bad as this one. Of course, in the next war, there were not any trenches, which is government's doing, as well as technology (airplanes). The governments of Germany (especially) and France and all the other countries were baffled by so many men's deaths, but could not take action against it during the War, because they had gotten too far already. So, the Great War could not have only affected soldiers, but also affected the civilians and governments.
    markaylac93

Evolution and Affects of Trench Warfare Empty Re: Evolution and Affects of Trench Warfare

Post  markaylac93 Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:18 am

The information you stated about the non-fatal casualties really got to me because from my point of view, those people were as unlucky as the people who died. And thanks for your reply to my post! Very Happy
    Chelsea C.
    Chelsea C.

Evolution and Affects of Trench Warfare Empty Re: Evolution and Affects of Trench Warfare

Post  Chelsea C. Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:20 am

You're welcome!
    faith m

Post  faith m Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:40 am

I never thought about the nonfatal casualities...not death but very devestating. Now I wish I included that in my post!
    lwilson
    lwilson

Post  lwilson Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:52 am

&nbsp I would add that those who didn't die, even those without physical injuries, were by far the unluckiest. They had to suffer through rebuilding a whole continent which was in very dire economic straits, and had to deal with the memories of so many dead people. I don't think anyone at the time could have possibly thought that such huge numbers of deaths were even possible.

Last edited by lwilson on Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 am; edited 2 times in total
    AbbyV.

Post  AbbyV. Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:05 am

"No live land", that's a great inference i wish i put things more blatantly in my post- this is great!
    HannahZ
    HannahZ

Post  HannahZ Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:13 am

"officers had to threaten to shoot men to get them to go into the line of fire."

That's really something to think about,
    Being fired on from both sides.
    Molly Christine H
    Molly Christine H

Post  Molly Christine H Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:47 am

"I pray to God no one ever has to see what I saw." hmmmmmm. Very Happy way to use entertainment. lol great post
    Chelsea C.
    Chelsea C.

Post  Chelsea C. Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:39 am

Thank you all for responding!

I read some of y'all's. Everyone has such wonderful ideas that I wish I had put in mine! I really like having this. That way you don't just hear what your class has to say but the ENTIRE sophomore class. We should have done this a long time ago.

Molly: I was going to put that in there, but I wasn't sure everyone had watched the movie. Smile

Have y'all read Loomis's? He wrote a poem! It puts mine to shame!
    Sydney M.
    Sydney M.

Post  Sydney M. Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:11 pm

I really liked the point of view that you used to explain your information. You know, most of the time when we learn about these wars and atrocities, we don't feel the emotional side of it (such as learning from the textbooK). When you put yourself into that situation, it makes it a whole lot worse. Nice post!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 3:21 pm